1. How many sections is the Declaration of Independence divided into?
A. 5 B. 3 C. 2 D.
2. What was the name of the king of England at the time of the
A. King George III B. Louis XIV
C. King George I D. Louis Napoleon
3. Which of these ideas is NOT in the Declaration of Independence?
A. All men are created
equal B. Governments should secure
rights for their citizens
C. God gives life and liberty
D. Always obey your government
4. Which English Enlightenment philosopher had a strong impact on
Jefferson in his writing of the Declaration of Independence?
A. Montesquieu B. Socrates C.
Locke D. Rousseau
5. The 13 Colonies were governed by the Articles of Confederation. What
was the shortcoming of these Articles?
A. They created a government that was too
B. There was too much power given to Congress
C. They set up a weak central government,
and it was hard therefore for the country to act as a whole
D. Their shortcoming was that they allowed
prisoners to be set free if their families paid for it.
6. What is federalism?
A. When a country is run by combined local
and central governments.
B. When there is a strong central government in a country.
C. Federalism is the opposite of socialism
D. Federalism is when a country is run by its military.
7. There are three branches of government in the US, the legislative,
executive and judicial. What principle in our Constitution does this
A. Checks and balances B. Separation of
Powers C. Federalism D. Limited government
8. What was one of the main reasons the Founding Fathers built the
principle of Checks and Balances into our Constitution?
A. They wanted to make government work more
B. They wanted to prevent any one branch from gaining too much power
C. They thought better results would come
D. They wanted all political views to be moderate.
9. Are there parts of the Constitution that are no longer binding?
A. No, the Constitution is the final law of
B. Yes, every 5 years the Amendments are updated by Congress
C. Yes, the parts which have been changed
by the Amendments
D. No, all parts of the Constitution are binding on the people.
10. What are Articles 1 and 2 about in the US Constitution?
A. 1Congress and the 2Judiciary
B. 1President and 2Congress
C. 1Congress and 2President
D. 1President and 2Judiciary
11. Which part of the Constitution gives the Supreme Court the power of
A. Article 1
B. Article 2 C. Article 3
D. It is not in the Constitution