Comparing Forms of Government
Gov forms throughout history
Ancient: City-states and Empire
Classical: Greece-Rome: Direct Democracy (Greece) and Republic (Rome). A republic is a representative democracy.
Middle Ages: Feudal then Absolute Monarchy
Revolutionary: Constitutionalism (Democracy) OR Totalitarianism
Forms of gov
Dictatorships (North Korea)
Theocracy (Vatican City, Iran)
Single Party State (Communist, Syria)
Direct Democracy (none)
Parliamentary Democracy (Britain)
Presidential Democracy (The US) Chart: Know the strengths and weaknesses
Traditional. Run by custom, tradition.
Market. Free enterprise, competition, freedom
Command. Government controlled and directed.
Mixed. Combinations of Market and Command.
Know the strengths and weaknesses of each one from the chart in podcast
Distribution of power
1. Unitary. One single power center from which power flows...
2. Confederal. Many regional centers that give a little power to a (weak) central government that mildly binds them together.
3. Federal. Both central and regional governments have power.
Totalitarianism between the World Wars
1. Hitler, Nazism, Germany
2. Mussolini, Fascism, Italy
3. Stalin, Communism, Russia